Life changes, and when it does, your benefits may need to change too. You can make midyear benefits election changes when you experience a qualifying life event.
Qualifying life events
Qualifying events that allow you to make changes outside of your new-hire eligibility period or the annual Open Enrollment period include:
- Birth, adoption or legal guardianship of a child
- Marriage, divorce or legal separation
- Beginning or ending a domestic partnership (you’ll need the domestic partner affidavit or termination of domestic partnership form)
- A dependent child reaches age 26
- An eligible family member gains or loses coverage from another source (such as a spouse’s employer plan)
- A move to or from a residence where different plans are available (e.g., Kaiser in California)
- The death of a dependent, spouse or domestic partner
- Termination of employment or a reduction of hours
- Termination of employer contributions for coverage
- Exhaustion of COBRA coverage
- The medical plan discontinues benefits for a certain group of individuals and you are part of that group
How to make changes
You must complete any changes through Workday within 30 days following the event. From the home screen, select Benefits > Change > Benefits. Create a life event, and choose the reason from the drop-down list.
You will need to provide documentation to support your qualifying life event, and you are allowed to make changes only to benefits relevant to the type of life event.
Other changes to consider
Depending on what has changed in your life, you may want to update more than just health care coverage. Consider whether other changes are appropriate for your situation:
- Life insurance coverage
- Beneficiaries for your life insurance and 401(k)
- Address in Workday
- Tax withholding status